I’m glad I got to enjoy my pregnancies.
With my Sister in Law being pregnant, my eyes have been open to this crazy world of do’s and don’ts when it comes to pregnancy. Now my Sister in Law is one of those follow everything in the book kind of person. So if a book or something on the internet says don’t do it she wont do it.
Of course there are the main don’ts:
- Don’t drink alcohol
- Don’t do drugs
- Don’t smoke
- Don’t eat high mercury fish
I think those are the only ones I really care for. My sister in Law is suffering from really bad all day sickness, it doesn’t just happen in the morning. I’m a huge tea person. I love it, it’s a big addiction! I may need an intervention but it would probably just make me buy more tea. So I told her I had some “Tummy Tea”, as the name suggests it helps calm your stomach when it’s feeling queezy. But right away she shot it down, “I can’t drink loose leaf tea” My mouth kind of dropped open. Tea, really you can’t drink tea? What is the world coming to when you can’t even drink tea that can help with morning sickness? It’s HERBS! I gave her the tea anyways and she is going to ask her doctor if she can drink it at the next appointment.
So I got curious, What are the Do’s and Don’ts of what the internet says pregnant woman can and can’t eat.
Here’s the List – I clearly would have starved! No wonder most of the women I talk to now hate being pregnant, you can’t do anything fun!
- Cheese? Really? When did cheese become an enemy to pregnant women?
- Cookie Dough or Cake Batter – Way to take the fun out of practicing to be a mom! The spoon is good enough for the kids to lick when mom bakes but not for the pregnant lady!
- Fish/Sushi/ShellFish – Ick, Unless it’s tuna from a can or a fillet-o-fish from mcdonalds I don’t eat it anyways
- Freshly Squeezed Juice – I’m not that domesticated and to be honest I’ve never thought to read a label to see if my juice is unpasteurized or not.
- Unpasteurized Milk – Yea… umm… again I’ve never read the labels
- Salads made in a store – Hello, Pregnant women are busy making a baby, most throw up a lot and don’t feel like cooking after a day of that! Thanks for giving pregnant women a reason to eat unhealthy?
- Raw or undercooked Sprouts – What? radishes are included in this? I’m pretty sure I may have ate them while pregnant, It’s not something I eat often but If I have a craving I will buy them and eat them raw!
They even have a be careful with these food section
- Hotdogs, Lunch meats, cold cuts and deli meats – What the hell? How my kids survived in my stomach I will never know.
- Eggs – Do they want pregnant women to be sad?
- Eggnog- I get this one, I’m sure it’s more don’t add the alcohol right?
- Ice cream – Why does this person hate pregnant women so much? Okay so it says “homemade” If a pregnant women has the energy to make homemade ice cream send her my way! She can move in with me because she is clearly nesting and my house would be spotless!
- Meat: Beef, Veal, lamb, pork, including ground beef – ugh! I’m shaking my head, I understand E Coli and all that. But do you really need to scare pregnant women?
- Meat spreads – why are you torturing pregnant women with this list? Aren’t they scared enough already?
- Poultry and Stuff – Well don’t be pregnant around Thanksgiving or Christmas! Is there any meat they left out at this point?
Being pregnant is hard enough as it is and then you add the fears of don’t eat this, don’t eat that, and be careful with this… I’m pretty sure I broke ever single one of these rules, well not the homemade ice cream (I’m not that domesticated) Or the fish – ick! They way I see it is women have been getting pregnant for a really, really, really long time. If your body is craving something, eat it! Your body most likely needs something from it! I did however notice pickles were not of the do not eat list, could this be the reason why so many pregnant women are known for eating them?